learn yoga or mindfulness?
“Yoga is really effective because it’s so tangible. Learning physical postures builds confidence and strength as well as the mind-body connection. Through yoga, kids start to realize that they are strong and then are able to take that strength, confidence, acceptance, and compassion out into the world,” Source: Harvard Health Blog
- Improves balance, strength, and endurance
- Improves focus and memory
- Boosts self-esteem, academic performance and classroom behaviour
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Teaches emotional core regulation
- Builds emotional and physical resilience
- Improves sleep
- Allows them to experience strength, kindness, compassion and acceptance
learn another language?
Research shows that starting early and learning a few languages helps prime their brains and accelerates their development, opening them up to a world of opportunities.
Did you know babies can hear all the 600 consonants and 200 vowels that make up the world’s languages? They can even cry with an accent, imitating what they hear while in the womb. And by the time they turn one, kids start tuning into the sounds they hear most frequently – babbling in their mother tongue.
- Improves cognitive and academic development
- Accelerates their ability to read and write
- Boosts problem-solving, critical thinking and listening skills
- Improves memory, concentration and ability to multitask
- Enhances creativity and a higher level of mental flexibility
- Nurtures their cultural awareness, empathy and tolerance
- Opens a world of opportunities and perspectives
- Promotes harmony and respect in the schoolyard and beyond
Watch Patricia Kuhl - Professor of Speech and Hearing Sciences
Sources and further links
More than just a game, Harvard
Benefits of meditation for kids, Thrive Global
What science says about mindfulness, Blissful Kids
Benefits of learning a second language, Lead with Languages
Brain mechanisms in early language acquisition, Patricia Kuhl
More languages, more benefits, VIC Education
Catering for linguistic diversity in language programs, VIC Education
Promoting the benefits of language learning, VIC Education